Saturday, February 25, 2006

Lemon Zest and Ginger Shortbread Cookies

Because I'm on a low-calorie diet, I haven't even considered eating sweets, but today, my sweet tooth got the best of me. I decided on shortbread cookies because they're easy and classic, but my husband is a bit of a ginger fanatic, so, I had lemons and ginger on hand, and I love them both enough to just throw them both in.





Lemon Zest and Ginger Shortbread Cookies

1 C. Flour (125g) (455 calories)
1 stick butter (800 calories)
1/3 cup. powdered sugar (40g) (156 calories)
1/4 tsp. fresh grated ginger
1 tsp. fresh grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Seeds of 1 vanilla bean


Preheat oven to 300°F. In a medium bowl, cream butter with the grated ginger, vanilla extract, vanilla seeds, and lemon zest. Add the flour and the sugar just until combined.

Lightly pack the mixture into an 8-inch springform pan. Crimp around the edge with floured fork tines, and bake for about 30 minutes, or until lightly golden. Remove from oven and quickly, but gently, cut into 12 wedges, then leave in pan to cool completely. Loosen edges of cookies from the pan, and release the pan round. Remove wedges... and enjoy!

Makes 12 cookies, about 118 calories each.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so envy you. I have yet to make a distinguished batch of shortbread. the last time i attempted it i was in the thick of holiday madness and ended up with sandy dough and albino cookies. not a pretty sight. but ginger, vanilla, and lemons? rock on

Fiber said...

Wow - these sounds awesome.
I need to make these. ASAP.

Felicia said...

These look so tasty! I like the shape you chose too!

Tea said...

Hi Erin, thanks for your sweet comment on Tea and Cookies. I'll try to make sure the stories are entertaining for you:-)

These sound amazing! I can't wait to try them. There's a bakery here in SF that makes a ginger sugar cookie with lemon glaze that I absolutely love. Was just trying to figure out how to replicate them--your recipe may set me on my way. Thanks!

Erin Eats said...

Ooooh, Tea, these would have been 10 times better with a lemon glaze... the thought hadn't even crossed my mind. Next time I'll definitely glaze them.