Monday, February 06, 2006

And so it begins...

I've never taken my health seriously. I remember feeling "fat" as young as 8, lying in the bathtub and squeezing my belly and being completely disgusted with myself. I wasn't fat, but as my lineage reads, a warped sense of self was inevitable. I started developing breasts around age 10, and everyone seemed to notice and make little jokes that they felt were harmless, but they rooted themselves into my subconscious and sprouted into strong insecurities that have followed me throughout my life. I was never a very healthy child or teen. I always had stomach problems, none of which were addressed in a proper way by a proper person. I was limited by my issues, and I became very anxious and depressed. With insecurity comes a process of distancing yourself from, well... yourself. The hardest person to find is yourself.

As an adult, I have found the reason for my stomach problems: an allergy to lactose. Simple as that. I'm a new person in a new body, it seems.

So, at the age of 26, after a lifetime of self-abuse, self-denial, and a general lack of self-control and self-knowledge, I am starting my journey toward self-awareness. By being good to myself, treating my body with love and respect, and enriching my mind with knowledge and skills, I plan to become the whole person that I was always meant to be.

Now, I've just re-read what I wrote, and it all sounds a bit like I've been watching too much Oprah. Oh well, it is what it is.

No recipe, obviously, blogger insists on putting this link on every post, it's an all or none sort of thing, I guess.

No comments: