Sunday, June 28, 2009

Growing Tomatoes

I planted three tomato plants about 5-6 weeks ago and they've been growing like weeds, but I'm afraid that: a) I didn't plant them deep enough b)I over-watered (it rained like crazy for a couple of weeks) and c) I didn't plant in big enough pots (I don't have a yard). Because of these things, I'm seeing some fruit, but not a lot, mostly in big clusters (this is normal, I'm sure) and the bottoms look like this:



We did have a crazy snail infestation, but that's been taken care of and I've planted marigolds to help with any bugs...

Any suggestions would be lovely!

6 comments:

tomatokilla said...

i'm guessing you watered too much and have blossom end rot, or fertized too much. If in a deep pot, watering only twice a week could be fine - watering less will produce better taste too. Do you have some mulch on the top of the soil? that may help retain moisture so you don't have to water too often as well.

Andrea said...

Yeah, I'd say it was too much water which caused the problem. It's happened to me before with tomatoes.

Acaislim said...

Did these turn out ok in the end? Sometimes I've had problems with my tomatoes and then it turns around and I end up with hundreds :)

Acai said...

The same thing happen to me before!

maybe said...

I'm appreciate your writing skill.Please keep on working hard.^^

Anonymous said...

Came across your blog searching for a recipe, very nice. Re: your tomato problem is indeed blossem end rot, as Joe said. Your soil is too acidic. You need to sweeten it with calcium. Bone meal and dolomite lime both work really well. Try that next season. Shouldn't matter how much space you have -- tomatoes can grow in pots!