Sunday, June 28, 2009

Fresh Cherry and Apple Crisp

For a few weeks now I've been on a diet, of sorts, having Isagenix Isalean Shakes twice a day and having a low calorie lunch or dinner, depending on the circumstances. This is working (though I'm realizing I'm a bit more ornery than usual), but I find myself really missing the activity of cooking, especially with so many fresh herbs out in my faux garden.

In any case, we were given a bucketful of fresh cherries, so we're incorporating them into our shakes, but Saturday is my day to make whatever I want without feeling any dieter's guilt - Saturday is my favorite day...

Fresh Cherry and Apple Crisp


Toss:
4 apples, peeled and sliced
2 c. cherries, pitted
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1/4 c. sugar
zest of 1 orange
Arrange in a baking dish.

Combine:
1/2 stick butter, softened*
2 c. instant oats
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 whole nutmeg, finely grated
Sprinkle over the fruit mixture and bake at 375 for 30-45 minutes, or until golden and bubbly.

*You should probably use a whole stick of butter to get the proper crumble texture, but I only used half.

1 comment:

NJenn said...

I tried this recipe last weekend and my family loved it. Adding cherry to it made it even tastier. My kids loved it and begged me to prepare it again so they can bring some to school.