Saturday, May 02, 2009

Chicken Pot Pie Soup

I love chicken pot pie, but baking the dish from scratch after a long day of work isn't really realistic for me. This week, I came home and threw this together from ingredients I already had. I wasn't sure where I was going with it until I realized I had some leftover puff pastry.

Chicken Pot Pie Soup

1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
meat from 1 whole roasted chicken
1 large onion, diced
4 large celery stalks, diced
3 c. shredded carrots
3 TB butter
3 TB olive oil
1 TB fresh thyme leaves
2 c. milk
6 chicken boullion cubes, dissolved in 4 c. hot water
4-6 TB Flour
2 bay leaves
2 c. frozen peas
1 sheet puff pastry, cut into sixths and baked until golden (400 degrees, 20 mins)



Saute the vegetables (with the bay leaves, thyme, salt, and the pepper) in the butter and oil until tender. Sprinkle in the flour and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the milk, stirring quickly, then the dissolved boullion water. When this comes to a boil and has thickened, stir in the chicken and the frozen peas. It couldn't hurt to throw in a little more fresh thyme at the end.

2 comments:

Yer Sis said...

I love your layout! LOVELOVELOVE!! Sorry I didn't call you back.

Kalyn Denny said...

Hey, you're blogging again! When my house gets done being remodeled we'll have to have another dinner. (Only now there are a LOT more food bloggers in Utah.)